Sunday, October 5, 2008

a glossary of favorite german terms

hallo: Definition: hello
It's pretty basic, but if you say this with a decent German accent, people tend to assume you know the language.

genau
(Gah-now): Definition: exactly
This is used very often in conversation- especially over the phone.

super
(zuppa!): Definition: super
I just love how it's said with such gusto.

Tschüss, Tschüs(chooose!) Definition: bye or ciao
It's always said in this sing-song voice. I love it.

endschuldigung (end-SHULI-Gung) Definition: Excuse me
I had a hard time with this at first- it's a mouthful. But once I got it down, it's kind of fun to say. it makes me feel a lot less rude. I think you can get away with "Pardon" as well.

alles klar. Definition: Well my German teacher says it means ok, but others have told me it's used just how it sounds- "got it. all is clear".
I hear this a lot in the office.

stil wasser or wasser, kein gass
(schtill vassa, vassa kine gas) Definition: still water (no bubbles, without gas)
I dunno is stil is actually a real German word, but they seem to get it when I ask. This is important to know if you are not a fan of carbonated water. If you just ask for water, you'll get the bubbly kind (but they'll usually ask whether u want gas or not).

1 comment:

Enric Gili Fort said...

aha! this will come handy when I come to Heidelbergggg